This off-grid building in Brantford, Ontario, is designed to manufacture and maintain large aircraft. Rooftop solar panels and a back-up generator provide all the power required for the MegaDoor and other building systems.
- Building size: 176 ft x 230 ft 8 in
- 60 ft eave clearance, 82 ft high at peak
- Primed gray steel frame with FR PE fabric – white with blue trim
- 164 ft x 59 ft bi-parting hangar door on endwall
- Solar panels on roof for off-grid operation of solar-powered aircraft
- 18-in overhangs with mesh soffits and RV-3000 peak vents for ventilation without power
- Legacy provided design assist and project manager services
- 1.18 kPa roof rain-on-snow load, .42 kPa windload, partially enclosed, fully exposed, standard occupancy
- Building use: Off-grid assembly hangar for solar-powered aircraft
40,597 sq ft
Legacy was the only one that could do a two-stepped building.
Legacy was the only one that could do a two-stepped building, so we could have a high part in front …and then have it stepped down, so we stay out of the clearance zone.
Legacy was one of the only companies that could construct to that height.
We needed a structure this big to be able to do maintenance inside, and we needed something we could erect quickly and meet all our requirements. Legacy was one of the only companies that could construct to that height.
Legacy Building Solutions has given Solar Ship more than just a state-of-the-art hangar and assembly building.
Through our close collaboration, their design incorporates a self-reliant photovoltaic power package that sits above the fabric roof, allowing our building operations to be entirely off-grid. In addition, Legacy’s foundation design allowed us to re-use an existing concrete pad, saving us time and money during construction. These innovations were part of our top-level requirements, and delivering on them really sets Legacy apart from the traditional building segment.
Start Your Project
Partnerships Equal Structural Integrity
Whatever your industry, project, and desired application, the Legacy team of engineers will make your vision a reality. Start your project with the team who will provide you more than the structural integrity of your building a partnership.