Having a beautiful field house that fit into a traditional university setting was important to the college. It also had to fit into a rather limited footprint. Legacy used inverted legs on the solid steel frame to make it fit and to make it look great. It also attached to a traditional brick and mortar building seamlessly. Both engineers and designers got an 'A' for this project.
- Building size: 185 ft x 315 ft (58,275 sq ft)
- Hot dip galvanized rigid steel frames
- ExxoTec™ Elite PVC fabric on the exterior, customized with university athletics logo
- Blue and white ExxoTec™ Pro interior fabric liner
- Inverted steel I-beams
- Full turf interior for football, lacrosse, soccer and softball
- R30 insulation on sidewalls
- Lighting, filming platform and divider curtains supported by frame
- Limited building footprint
- Connected to office building
- 20 psf ground snow load, 130 mph wind speed, seismic zone B
Sports & Recreation
58,275 sq ft
Stony Brook, NY
It was a good experience working with Legacy.
Our transportation system requires the diesel buses to be stored in a facility to keep them warm and protected from the elements. Legacy's customized fabric structure design was able to fit our purposes. Their in-house installation crew put up the building very quickly. They're easy to work with and willing to help, and the communication with the city and responsiveness throughout the project was very good.
The set up was ideal.
With this Legacy design, we were able to save money and space by integrating a wash bay into the storage structure. The setup we use is also ideal for eliminating environmental concerns, since all the salt-laden water is contained instead of running off.
It seemed to be the perfect solution.
The building needed to be as salt resistant as possible. Legacy had a solid steel frame as opposed to tubular steel – it seemed to be the perfect solution.
Start Your Project
Partnerships Equal Structural Integrity
Whatever your industry, project, and desired application, the Legacy team of engineers will make your vision a reality. Start your project with the team who will provide you more than the structural integrity of your building a partnership.