Smithfield Foods, the largest hog producer and processor in the world, is a vertically integrated company overseeing every step of the hog and pork production process at its operations. When identifying ways to make their feed manufacturing system more robust, they sought out a tension fabric structure to meet their ingredient storage needs.
- Building size: 125 ft x 480 ft
- 10# ground snow load, 109 mph wind, seismic C, wind exposure C, fully enclosed, fully exposed, low hazard
- Primed gray steel mounted on CIP foundation
- PE fabric with interior liner
- Standard 18-in eave overhang with venting under eave
- 24 ARV-2000 vents are used to ventilate the cavity
- 12 tunneled ARV-2000 vents are used to ventilate the building’s main air volume
- Six overhead doors and 3 personnel doors on sidewalls
- Exclusive 20 ft on center paneled roof system
- Point load for conveyor and catwalk
- Two full sets of egress stairs, platforms and hangars installed
60,000 sq ft
Rose Hill, NC
The Legacy construction crew was very professional and courteous.
Because of our soil issues, we simply couldn't afford to construct a more traditional building. The concrete costs made a more traditional building cost prohibitive. The lightweight design of our Legacy building allowed us to reach a compromise between soil conditions and cost. Regarding the design and construction phases of the building, I can say that the process went exceptionally well. When I made eleventh-hour changes to the job, Legacy handled them with ease. They finished the job well ahead of schedule, worked safely, and followed our stringent safety requirements to the letter.
Legacy was very easy to work with.
The old buildings used tubular steel, and no matter what you do, the salt gets inside the tubes and corrodes them. They came out here with their crew, rented all their equipment, and erected the buildings in three weeks flat – a week ahead of schedule. It's a stand-up company.
The new building will protect the salt supply.
It will be protected from being compromised by wind and precipitation. Once the general contractor completed the footings and floors, Legacy installed the fabric building very quickly, in about two weeks. It was a very positive process with professional communication between Legacy and Dewberry throughout the project.
Start Your Project
Partnerships Equal Structural Integrity
Whatever your industry, project, and desired application, the Legacy team of engineers will make your vision a reality. Start your project with the team who will provide you more than the structural integrity of your building a partnership.