The U.S. Navy was standing up a brand new helicopter squadron in Europe, and they needed maintenance hangers. The base is in Rota, Spain and is owned by the Spanish government, but the U.S. Navy also uses the base for its aircraft. It’s a partnership that works for both countries, and Legacy was proud to be part of it.
Initially the idea was to build one building, 100 ft by 100 ft. As plans came together, the U.S. Navy decided to order two identical structures. One of them has a bridge crane with a 5-ton capacity supported by the I-beam frame that Legacy is known for. The second building is identical and was designed to be “crane ready” so that if the building owners want to add another crane later, they can. Both are classified as MRO hangars.
- Two buildings, each 100 ft x 100 ft (20,000 total sq ft)
- EpoxxiShield™ Standard frame finish on rigid steel frames
- White ExxoTec™ Elite PVC fabric cladding on exterior
- Interior is insulated and lined with white ExxoTec™ Pro PVC cladding
- 18-in overhangs with black mesh soffits
- Each structure has a bi-parting, bottom rolling hangar door on one endwall, as well as personnel doors on opposite endwall and sidewalls
- Each building is designed to support a 5-ton overhead crane
- Gutters and downspouts installed on both buildings for water mitigation
- Lighting and ventilation systems supported by the frames in both buildings
- Installed by Legacy crews
- 3.8 psf ground snow load, 114 mph wind speed, exposure C, seismic D
20,000 sq ft
Base Naval de Rota, Spain
Legacy Building Solutions has given Solar Ship more than just a state-of-the-art hangar and assembly building.
Through our close collaboration, their design incorporates a self-reliant photovoltaic power package that sits above the fabric roof, allowing our building operations to be entirely off-grid. In addition, Legacy’s foundation design allowed us to re-use an existing concrete pad, saving us time and money during construction. These innovations were part of our top-level requirements, and delivering on them really sets Legacy apart from the traditional building segment.
Legacy was the only one that could do a two-stepped building.
Legacy was the only one that could do a two-stepped building, so we could have a high part in front …and then have it stepped down, so we stay out of the clearance zone.
Legacy was one of the only companies that could construct to that height.
We needed a structure this big to be able to do maintenance inside, and we needed something we could erect quickly and meet all our requirements. Legacy was one of the only companies that could construct to that height.
Start Your Project
Partnerships Equal Structural Integrity
Whatever your industry, project, and desired application, the Legacy team of engineers will make your vision a reality. Start your project with the team who will provide you more than the structural integrity of your building a partnership.